Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Yeehaw! How 'Bout them Cowboys!

We arrived in Cody by ascending into the Bighorn National Mountains and then descending.  We ascended to about 9000 feet, and then at an average grade of 3% descended over 18 miles into a gorgeous canyon.  The Sailor was all gaga, but the kids were transfixed by a DVD (a curse on technology) and I was furiously taking advantage of the last vestiges of cellular internet connection to finish some work (a double curse on technology) and check the Clemson baseball score (we are headed to the Super Regionals).

I have simply fallen in love with Cody.  I love the shtick, the kitsch, the tourism and the incredible friendliness of the people.  Cody has embraced everything about being a cowboy and the Germans and French and Dutch flock to Wyoming to see a real American cowboy.  It is great.

We used Cody as a rest day essentially.  I took my car in to be looked at again as we had problems with it the entire trip from SD to Cody.  Bottom line, they cannot find anything major wrong with it, but without having a Volvo computer, they cannot clear any of the messages.  I am up a creek if anything happens as home is about the closest place with a Volvo dealership and we are a good 24 hours away still if we drove straight.  I’ve been eying the new Chevy and Chrysler crossovers.  Maybe I should go American.  Nevertheless, Joe the incredible Mechanic, spend a good 45 minutes trying to find something wrong with it and could not and did not charge me.  He said to tell my husband thanks for serving.  We’ve had that type of attitude in Cody the entire trip.  In fact, the Sailor got a standing ovation during the street gunfight as the only service member in the crowd.  They brought him up, gave him a poster and thanked him for his service.  Then when we went to the Rodeo, he was given a huge discount.  Just nice, friendly, patriotic people.

I have to throw a note in here, that if I could afford it every week I would send my clothes to the fluff and fold laundry.  LUXURY!

We spent our time wandering downtown Cody and shopping.  We have been lured into the Cowboy hat and we are now all proud owners.  I have an inner cowgirl that just longs to be released.  I like the west a lot.  I even drank a Bud Select—but I cannot go that native.  UGH.  ICK.  Can I be a German Cowgirl?

We spent the evening at the Cody Stampede Rodeo.  We have turned into veritable Grizwolds. We have pictures of Mr. Hawking sitting on Hollywood the bull.   We also were inundated with texts on the baseball score during the event.   We had a fabulous time cheering on the different competitions, watching calf and bull roping—which still looks a bit barbaric to me—I guess I’m a citified cowgirl.  We all gasped as these cowboys almost got trampled by the bull riding competition.  The Europeans in the crowd were transfixed.  I felt like I was in the heart of America. Little Miss Sunshine and Mr. Hawking got to go down into the arena with all the kids for a calf chase, where all the kids tried to catch a couple of calves they let loose.  Mr. Hawking was very upset to have not caught a cow and LMS was mad that Daddy didn’t catch one for her because Daddy was holding LMS the entire time.  I have to give Mr. Hawking props though because in the past, he could have never been coaxed to give something like that a try.  They had a great time.

 I have always loved a man in Military Uniform.  It can make my heart beat a little faster, but I am thinking that cowboys may come in a close second.  Too cute!

It was a fun, totally touristy night and I loved every moment of it. The Rodeo sits at the foothills of the mountains and there is a canvas of grandeur while you watch this spectacle.  I think I have gotten past my angst and anxiousness and I am moving forward with a lot more fun and excitement in my heart.  We are off to Yellowstone today as well as the Tetons.  I think I said in another post that these mountains remind me of the Alps.  I have to take that back as these mountains are NOTHING like the Alps.  This is a whole range in its own category.  Unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment