Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Volvo is on the Way to the Mechanic and We are NOT in it

I am coming to the realization that we will never get to see everything of the US. I am slightly regretful that I did not have the gumption or free-spirit to take a year off after college and travel the US and world and rough it. I wish I were younger and less inclined to worry so that I could troop through the national parks and trails with nothing but what I could carry on my back. I wish I had learned what I really needed and those things that simply make the travel nice. I almost wish that I would give in to the Sailor’s desire to home-school the kids, sell everything and travel around the world in the boat, because there is so much to see and so little time to do it. I am overwhelmingly blessed to enjoy what I have and be able to consider myself a fairly diverse traveler. It is an amazing country we live in and I have only seen a small fraction of it. I am enchanted by the mix of Little Germany/Western culture in this part of the state. It makes the experience familiar, yet different and the food an interesting mix. Our tow truck guy today talked about how his family came from Russia and Germany to settle in SD and the mix of countries is very evident.

Oh! Did I not mention the tow truck? The one that is taking our Volvo to a mechanic 30 miles away since we are almost in the middle of nowhere?
We started out the day on a scenic journey past another creepy guy being blown out of granite. The Crazy Horse Monument has been under construction for the last 20 odd years and the locals joke that it will be another 20 until it is complete. It’s rather cool to see the shape of Crazy Horse’s head and horse take shape and we’ve told Mr. Hawking that he’ll have to come back in 20 years to see if it is done.
From there, we went to Jewel Cave National Monument to go spelunking. It was a jewel of a trip to see all the stalactite and stalagmite formations. Mr. Hawking was smitten by our Ranger Vickie. He couldn’t stop asking her questions. We trooped through a maze of about 1.5 miles and oohed and ahhed. It was great. I love caves. I would truly be happy to check out the many other in the area. The scientists guesstimate that they have only explored about 5 % of Jewel Cave’s possible area. It’s a breathing cave and can get upwards of 35mph winds when low and high pressure systems change. I find it, yet again, reassuring that what is above the earth is connected to what happens below the earth. The estimated age for the cave is around 3-6 billion years. How cool is that.

We left Jewel Cave and the car was driving fine.

Did I mention that my car is on a tow truck in need of fixing?

We headed to Custer State Park and enjoyed a lovely picnic by the lake with the intent to go see the herds of bison that have a sanctuary in the park. We headed up Coolidge Mountain when upon arrival there was a loud pop, smoking and coolant leaking from the car. The water pump seemed work according to some car savvy British Columbians nearby and the hypothesis is that we blew a coolant hose. However, the engine temp gauge is also not working. We found that out coming down the mountain and ended up re-parking by the lake and waited about 3 hours for the tow truck to arrive. The car must be towed 30 miles away and I am praying like the dickens that they can fix it in the next 24-48 hours. I love my car. I don’t want to succumb to the mini-van, I love my car. Please God, let my car get better.
The Godfathers would be greatly impressed that I have yet to shed a tear.
We are eternally grateful to our dear friends “The Chevys’” that are in the area and stopped by to check on us, provide snacks and water and let their kids play with my kids. They were a great diversion, even if our planned dinner out has been nixed.
So, The Sailor is on his way with the tow truck and our car to Rapid City, while the kids and I were dropped off at the hotel for delivered pizza, TV and a praying session that we can get our car back soon. We’re not sure what the plan is….we have intentions, not plans as the Sailor reminds me, but he’s a duck. My girlfriend from college and I married ducks. That is to say our men let things like this run off their skin, whereas my friend and I tend to freak. I am proud to be a practicing duck today. Quack Quack.

6 comments:

  1. Good job. Be a duck! I'll try to swim right along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing worse than car trouble....I guess being in the middle of nowhere with car trouble tops it all :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katie Clarkson RobertsonJune 6, 2010 at 5:52 AM

    What was it you said at the beginning? "Embrace the suck!" Quack....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, my condolences on the Volvo. I have great experience with foreign cars in remote places in the good old USA.

    In the mid-50's my folks bought a Volkswagen bus. At one point, we took a vacation up into the northern regions of Maine. As we were headed back, in the middle of the great northern forest, the clutch (in those days most vehicles were stick shift) went our. As we came to a town, dad had to find a hill, get at the top on the downhill side, stop the bus and turn it off. He then put it in 2d gear and let it roll and then start it by letting out the clutch. He would go through the town in 2d gear (which in a VW was really slow). When he got outside the town, he'd repeat the process by stopping at the crest of a hill (on the down slope), turn the bus off, put it in 3d gear, get it rolling and then start it. We'd then proceed in 3d gear (which was also very slow) to the next town and then repeat the process all over again.

    It took hours and hours to limp to Portland where we could find a VW dealer. Of course, we had to stay overnight to get the thing repaired so we could get home.

    My folks never learned, we switched from the VW bus some years later to a series of Peugot's. Can you imagine the fun they had when one of their Peugot's broke down in Columbus, GA when they were visiting us at Ft. Benning?

    Keep the faith, these trials and tribulations do make for an interesting story. We're thoroughly enjoying your trip (vicariously).

    It really is good to be married to a "duck." Tell Treb to keep up the good work!

    Boyd & Adrian

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved your story. Can't wait for today's installment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can be your "no mini-van" support group. Give me a call when you feel the compulsion. Every once in a while Dray tries to convince me this is the way to go but there's something deep in my soul that screams "NO, NO!!" We can do this. It works if you work it!!

    ReplyDelete