Friday, June 18, 2010

Home of the I Corps

Well, we arrived last night to Tacoma, WA, which is about 10 miles and change from where we will live outside the gates of Fort Lewis or Joint Base Lewis McChord or the home of I Corps, the Army’s First Corps, although it’s never called that.  It’s called “Eye” (phonetically) Corps for my non-military peeps.  It is by far the largest Army or Navy installation that I have ever lived on or near.  It’s huge.  I had a crisis of military wife personality upon arriving at the PX (Post Exchange) after getting a “Welcome Packet” and getting the Sailor a regulation hair cut.  My crisis (which I think I have every time we move) is the realization that while everything is achingly familiar on an Army base (Anthony’s pizza, O’Charley’s, PX, commissary, etc) it is never quite the same as where you left, or quite the same lay out or quite the same design.  I was overcome by a sense of panic and anxiety that “by golly I am a fish outta water!”  I am not sure that I can explain that sense of familiarity juxtaposed with unfamiliarity in a new environment compounded by fatigue, a to-do list out the wazoo, and uncertainty of when everything will level out.  I am somewhat proud though, that I have at least reached the level of maturity, or numbness, in which I now know that this too shall pass.  I soon will be able to tell what aisle the toilet paper resides and the best day to miss the crowds and which gate will be fastest, but it is a matter of time.  And if anyone knows me, patience isn’t exactly my best virtue.  Give me a bit and I will get there.

That being said, I have to say one of the best things that I love about the area and an impression that I left when I last visited the area for work was the sheer impressiveness of customer service and kindness by everyone in the service industry.  Now y’all know I am from the south and we are pretty well known for our hospitality, but I have to say, the PNW really caps it.  There is sincerity to every individual I have met and the desire to give 110% whether it is in food service, at the library or in giving directions.  These are the nicest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. 


The drive in yesterday was wet and cold – appropriate for our arrival to the PNW.  We considered stopping along the way but the kids wanted to do the complete drive from Montana to Washington – and they cheered loudly when we crossed into Washington, only to be disappointed when they learned that we had 300 more miles to drive.  When we finally got into Tacoma (and survived the rush hour traffic), we checked into our downtown hotel with a beautiful view of the harbor and sound (thanks to Priceline) and then enjoyed a waterfront dinner with one of my good friends.  After dinner, Mr. Hawking was walking into the hotel and accidentally let go of his helium balloon in the hotel lobby – and cried as it slowly floated up 40 feet against the expansive ceiling.  There was nothing we could do, but I did notice the looks of sympathy from the front desk and the lobby bar.  About five minutes after getting to our room, the front desk called and asked me to come back downstairs.  Everyone at the bar felt so sorry for Mr. Hawking that the hotel staff used a tall ladder and a telescoping pole to retried the balloon.  That’s the hospitality I’m talking about!


We have had a successful first day of transitioning.  We are now ensconced at the hotel in which we will reside for the next week in anticipation of our household goods (HHG) arrival.  If you think military wives know how to make a house a home in short order, you should see what they can do with a hotel for the duration.  Our house is gorgeous.  It is going to be fun and challenging to find a place for our stuff, but we are up to it.  We both have library cards, the kids have dentist appointments, I have found dates for camps, we have an eye on some churches to try this weekend, I have most of my Child and Youth Services paperwork complete and I have a line on some babysitters.  Things are going well so far.


Tomorrow will be inprocessing, getting the truck, meeting some JAGs and their wives, running errands and praising God for Friday.  I have found my sense of calm again after my moment of personality disorder earlier in the day and I am confident that this will be a new and good home for us.  The door is always open.


As an aside—if you are amused by my rants as a military wife, you MUST read Allison Buckholtz’ “Standing By.”  Her story is about the struggles as a Navy wife, but she does such an excellent job touching on topics that are near and dear to every military wife that I would put this at the top of my must read list.  I have alternately cried and laughed out loud.  Her prose is excellent and she makes me look like a writer for the National Inquire compared to a Shakespearean great.  I highly recommend the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment