Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Post without a Snappy Title

I woke up this morning and thought I was on the set of the movie Twister. A bunch of storm chasers from Texas Tech took over the hotel (The Dunes) last night and sure enough the modern/technologically advanced equivalent of “Dorothy” was loaded up on the bed of a truck and a line of SUVs and pickups followed with all the meteorologists. It was a little surreal. However, I can totally understand the fascination and passion. It’s amazing to me to watch weather form across the plains and hills. The clouds are a constantly changing canvas of light and dark and contrast and power. I am convinced that ever y triangular wisp on a cloud is a potential funnel and I wait with dreaded fascination for a potential tornado. The Sailor thinks I am slightly paranoid.

I wasn’t sure what I thought the Badlands were going to be like, but I felt stupefied when we arrived. Long, endless (pun intended) plains give way to these massive sand castle like mountains that are made from volcanic type ash. I am awed by a creation that has existed since prehistoric times. I never think of the US as having had dinosaurs, but the Badlands are proof that I am wrong. You know, generally, I don’t really think of how America was formed, but this area is living testament of the collision between earth, air and water in massive formations of this dried stuff that when wet, expands and gets harder. We took the kids on a relatively easy hike through the “Door” trail to over look only one portion of the National Park. You can see the dried river beds from where rain runs freely from the formations down the White River Basin. What was startling was a warning sign to take water on a short (0.75 mile hike). I would have normally blown off the warning, but I was kind of thirsty, so we loaded up water and snacks. Out on the plateaus and rock formations the temperature ramped up. And it was so dry. I could feel the saliva evaporating in my mouth. I am thankful we took water. You could feel the dryness seeping moisture from your skin, mouth, nose and everything tasted faintly of clay.

Mr. Hawking was constantly on the lookout for a rattlesnake. In turn we found a bunny, an elk-horn sheep, and several hawks. I am constantly amazed by God’s creation in the earth and reassured by the cycle of life when I see a loan tree growing on a freakish outcropping of rock that somehow became the home of a random tree seed blown on the wind from who knows where. I am comforted that things are so much bigger and more complex than me. This area astounds me with its peace. While the kids made me cross-eyed on several occasions, I simply had to look around and felt calm. God is good.

During our hike, the Sailor commented that he wondered where the Sand People were since we truly did feel on the set of Tatooine for Star Wars. Little Miss Sunshine piped up clear as a bell, “Daddy, there can’t be Sand People here, there is no sand!”
On the way out of the park, Mr. Hawking remarked that when he gets old enough, he wants to come back and do all the trails and mommy and daddy won’t be able to tell him which ones he can and cannot do. (Have you ever noticed that I have very opinionated and strong willed children?). Mr. Hawking was only sad that mommy and daddy wouldn’t be there for the trip. To which the Sailor told Mr. Hawking, any time you want daddy to go hike with you, give me a call and I will come. Mr. Hawking replied, “but daddy, you’ll be a grandpa then!”

We followed the Badlands to a visit to a Cold War missile silo in the area. It was difficult to explain to our four year old the threat from Russia. He wanted to know if the bad guys were gone from Russia and if so, where was the rocket pointing now. Ah, difficult theology, politics, and world societies on the level of one so young. He was so interested in the rocket because he loves space so much, but then to discuss nuclear weaponry and what a rocket could be used to destroy was an uncomfortable/difficult discussion.

We then were off to trip to Wall Drug for a free donut and coffee. You just have to love places that do nice things for Veterans. Kudos!

We are on our way to Hill City for three days in the Black Mining Hills of South Dakota seeing caves, Mount Rushmore, Dinos, Trains and who knows what else. I have my heart set on cow for dinner tonight. I guess you can only look at meat on the side of the road and wonder if it tastes better. Moooo.

There have been no stadiums today. Yahoo!

The check engine light is back on in my car. :(

2 comments:

  1. FYI, Tatooine is a real place in Tunisia, where Star Wars was filmed. I've been to one of the Star Wars sets. There WAS sand, LOTS of it. When we went there, a sand storm was in progress!Perhaps your Mr. Hasking will go there some day..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy Mt. Rushmore! I visited when I was 14 and went to the Sunday church service and my mom got picked to lead Amazing Grace at the foot of the mountain - that song has never been the same for me since! It was AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete