Friday, June 4, 2010

Moose Drool

The Alpine Inn in Hill City, SD is on to something. There are two (well three) things on the menu: a 6 oz Fillet with baked potato, Texas toast and a wedge of iceberg lettuce with Ranch or a 9 oz Fillet with the same. They also offer a hot dog with fruit for kids. That’s it. No subs. And that’s how they keep this amazing piece of cow at 8.95 for each 6 oz. I don’t remember the cost of the 9 oz, but it was cheap. And it was amazingly delish beef. Perfectly seasoned and I generally don’t like to eat beef outside of the Sailor’s grill. For less than $50 we each had two (adult) drinks, each had a 6 oz fillet, one hot dog order for the kids, a crème brulee and coffee. You can’t beat that for cost. And people, iceberg lettuce is simply a conduit for good dressing. There isn’t anything healthy about it. That was the cap for the day.

Today made Mr. Hawking’s day. We spent two hours on a 1880 steam engine touring the Black Hills. This was so relaxing for me and so enthralling to the kids. Well worth the money. The Black Hill’s are named as such because the Ponderosa Spruce trees native to the area do not reflect light and from a distance give the appearance of Black Hills.

The area is also known for its HUGE outcroppings of granite. You may have been aware that this, but these four guys have their heads immortalized in the granite. George Washington, Mr. Jefferson (Hey, I DID just live in Charlottesville, VA for the last year—Treb was astounded to read in the park write up on Mr. Jefferson that his top accomplishments did not include the founding of UVA), Teddy Roosevelt and Abe Lincoln overlook the Black Hill’s valley to ensure our democracy always has leadership. I found the Badlands more impressive overall, but Mount Rushmore is more impressive from a distance than the park. Although it is cool. I find that it is evidence that someone was kookier than I to spend their life’s pursuit in blowing up the side of the mountain to look like our most famous presidents. It’s cool, but I’m a little more awed by mother-nature in her majesty. And let’s face it; four guys’ heads on a mountain is a little creepy. But it is cool.

I ate Bison tonight. At Bumpin' Buffalo's Bar and Grill. Yummy. Nice and lean without being too dry and stringy and it has an excellent flavor. I am looking forward to some Elk, maybe some antelope if we can find it. Who knows, maybe we’ll find some more western game to try. I'd suggest frying up a little Bald Eagle, but I think that's treason.

We also washed it all down with Moose Drool, an excellent beer out of Colorado in which each sip gets a little smoother than the last.

I have a small confession to make….I make my kids hold my hand even when they don’t have to because I like the way their little paws feel. :) Don’t tell them, they still think mommy is just keeping up for their safety and don’t try and convince me you haven’t done the same thing too. Their little hands are so soft and sweet.
We are off to Custer State Park tomorrow to check out the buffalo or bison, or whatever we have domesticated. Moo.

3 comments:

  1. I hold Olivia's hand for the same reason. Kaitlyn won't hold mine anymore. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the entire post: the part about the presidents, the black hills, esp the parts about the food, but most of all ---- holding those precious little hands.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had Moose drool in colorado so once again our dedication to all things alcoholic has brought us back together again.

    I have put the Master Manipulator (MM, formally known as Bella)on Emma's(previous MM title holder) food. She ran out of her own but has been trying to scarf Emma's food ever since she got here. I figured it would just be easier. Emma's food is pretty expensive given all her health issues so I thought it would only benefit the MM. Well, it has only made her gastro-intestinal issues worse. Like we don't have enough gas in this house. haha. The MM and GG are practically lovers. I'll try and get some video of it. They spoon and the MM takes her mouth and nibbles all over GG's body. She might be looking for fleas. Dray put the kennel together so she can start to get used to it but Carter commendeered it as a dinosaur cage. He being the dinosaur and me locking him up in it. Unfortunately, this situation does not last long.

    ReplyDelete