Wednesday, May 19, 2010

It's like playing Tetris--only with Luggage

Did you ever wonder if a Volvo station wagon could be redneck? Well, with every suitcase we own, travel toys, uniforms, books, and the beach toys tied to the tailgate, we may be able to compete with the Griswolds for Biggest Redneck Vacation of the Year. The good news is that a good quarter to half of the stuff will get passed on to mom to store for us until the next family beach vacation, thus allowing for rear viewing for the rest of the trip. We hope.

We have two ten-hour packing days under our belt and a team of 5 guys (not related to the burger joint) hauling my Stuff to the van. I am hoping we'll be out of here at a reasonable hour, but then again, I thought that yesterday as well. They ALWAYS underestimate how long it will take to move my Stuff. I explain, I have A LOT of Stuff and yet, we go through this every time.

Eye Roll--can you insert one of those smiley faces here to eye roll continuously?

On the upside, I cannot complain with either team's professionalism. I have a group of college students (an accountant major, a finance major, an electrical engineer, a chemist and a 39 year moving veteran on my team). Hilldrup moving gets a thumbs-up in my book. They are a part of United if you are ever in the same situation and want to request a mover. This is the second time (fourth if you include both the outbound and inbound move) we have used them. Good stuff.

Some random thoughts:
1) The crankier I get, the crankier my kids get--note to self: don't get cranky.
2) Beer tastes especially good after a long day of watching others do all the hard labor of moving your Stuff.
3) Thus far, my prayers for no rain are working despite threatening clouds--however, it's freaking freezing!!!
4) God Bless my friends who took my kids out of the house. We'd all be going nuts at this point.
5) I should have cleaned under the beds and under the couch before they moved. I think I have an additional box of found "treasure" throughout the day.
6) Movers seem to prefer Subway to Pizza these days. I remember when my mom would bring home bags of McD's for the guys. I always got excited because that was the only time we were ever allowed to eat McD's growing up--during a move. Now I can't stand it.
7) When your movers hold the financial burden themselves if they damage your Stuff, they take a lot better care of your Stuff than if the moving company holds the financial responsibility.
8) You'd be amazed about the amount of dust that can accumulate behind furniture in less than a year. Don't I have a cleaning lady for this?
9) I am staring at one clock that says 1:10 and another that says 1:11--waiting for this to be done. I wonder if by the time they are done, I'll have figured out the difference in the seconds between the two?
10) I have wasted enough of your time with my random thoughts. I must go supervise.

But aside from all that, I realized today, that I would be annoyed if someone followed me around all day assuming I did not know how to do the job I was trained to do. At some point, you have to point out the things that matter to you the most to the guys and let them do their job. I have to assume that they are professionals too (and they are!) and not dodge their steps. It makes things a lot less stressful and all of us a lot happier.

If I write before the exodus, it will be from the beach next. Don't count on it though fair readers, I'll be on island time.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you'll get a chance to figure out the clocks -- they will be in a box somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Tetris analogy!

    I heard your movers exclaiming this morning. "Wow, they have a lot of book shelves"! And the driver saying, "they must like to read". I just chuckled to myself and thought "You have no idea"!

    ReplyDelete